Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Band

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
OK so scratch that (regardless of the apparent lack of interest - lol). I just went to sepearte the dual carbs and the two screws (step #1) won't budge. Starting to strip. SO I'm not worried about it - i have bigger fish to fry. I'm going to be installing them as is. Turns out i never received a carb insulator (#7 on site below) when i bought this bike -- whoopsi.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...1987&fveh=4170

I was wondering why this bitch looked like it didnt line up AT ALL.
time for some keihin FCR's
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation

I just looked on their site and didnt see anyting that was applicable, but i sent an email to their sales dept explaining my situation and asking if they had (a)a product that would work on my bike, or (b)cleaning & repair services that I could utilize.

:cheers: here's to hoping. The insulator & associated bands would run me ~$70-90 (depending on which price my dealer charges me) so ill def check this option out.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
E for Engourged.

Wow am I lucky. I went to order the carb insulator today from Honda of Norfolk - but before I left the parts guy wanted to make sure that it wasn't discontinued (the ordering system said it wasn't, but he wanted to check w/ his warehouse). Turns out there are 7 remaining in the country. Phew - dodged a bullet.

I was up there picking up parts - got some exhaust-related brackets and a few oil seals for the RHCC which I can finally put back togehter & on.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
E for Engourged.

While I wait for this carb insulator i decided to try and get my new tail light fixtgure on this mangled-ass fender. The plastic piece that the tail light mounts to is horribly disfigured - probably from some rough riding at some point in time. Got everything apart but I haven't fucked with the wiring beacuse I really dont know SHIT about it.

Right now there are three wires coming out the back of hte old bulb asembly: a Dark Green wire that also runs to the two turn signals (ground? power?), a Green/Yellow wire that runs to the rear brake light switch, and a Brown wire that I can't figure out wher eit leads to (been staring at the wiring diagram for a while, just seems to go to the battery, the spedometer lights.

Now, my new tail light assembly has two wires coming out of the back: red, and black.

I know typically red = power, black = ground. but since none fo the old three wires are red or black, i can't just match 'em up and be done with it. Additionally, I haven't done wiring before, so I don't really know I'm supposed to be disassembling/assembling it.

Any general tips?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

While I wait for this carb insulator i decided to try and get my new tail light fixtgure on this mangled-ass fender. The plastic piece that the tail light mounts to is horribly disfigured - probably from some rough riding at some point in time. Got everything apart but I haven't fucked with the wiring beacuse I really dont know SHIT about it.

Right now there are three wires coming out the back of hte old bulb asembly: a Dark Green wire that also runs to the two turn signals (ground? power?), a Green/Yellow wire that runs to the rear brake light switch, and a Brown wire that I can't figure out wher eit leads to (been staring at the wiring diagram for a while, just seems to go to the battery, the spedometer lights.

Now, my new tail light assembly has two wires coming out of the back: red, and black.

I know typically red = power, black = ground. but since none fo the old three wires are red or black, i can't just match 'em up and be done with it. Additionally, I haven't done wiring before, so I don't really know I'm supposed to be disassembling/assembling it.

Any general tips?
buy a manual or download a wiring diagram. seriously. wiring can be the simplest thing in theory but is also the biggest pita irl
Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
E for Engourged.

I have a wiring diagram:

teh confusin is: there are 3 wires in teh current bulb assembly, and 2 in my replacement.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Band

well you have a different type of bulb setup then...

what do the instructions say they are? is it self grounded or what?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
E for Engourged.

Didn't come with instructions -- some cheap OEM-replacement copmany out of Taiwan. What I've come up with from advrider is:

Brown wire in my old setup is the power -- so i'll wire taht to the Red wire in my new light
Green wire in the old setup is the ground -- which will be wired to the Black wire in my new light.

Except ther isn't a 3rd wire on my new setup with which to connect to the Green/Yellow wire that runs from the Brake Light sensor
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 AM
E for Engourged.

So - turns out the guys on ebay (taiwanese fuckers!) screwed me and i have a tail light without brake light capacity. oye vay. Its $81 from honda, $76 on bikebandit or $61 from servcehonda. Daaaaaaaamn thats like 12% of the total repair cost to-date. Wish i was able to convert this tail light to a brake light somehow.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Band

Didn't come with instructions -- some cheap OEM-replacement copmany out of Taiwan. What I've come up with from advrider is:

Brown wire in my old setup is the power -- so i'll wire taht to the Red wire in my new light
Green wire in the old setup is the ground -- which will be wired to the Black wire in my new light.

Except ther isn't a 3rd wire on my new setup with which to connect to the Green/Yellow wire that runs from the Brake Light sensor
hmm green being ground sounds about right...
you had another wire running from the brake light switch to the turn signal? does that mean ur turn signal lamp is supposed to come on when you hit the brakes? or do you have a dedicated wire to make that turn signal a running lamp?