You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the VA Driven community today!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of cloth for removing wax?

ritz is offline Patron

What type of cloth for removing wax?

Ok, well I've been using 100% terry cloth towels everytime I waxed my Camaro and I was very pleased with the results. Now I have a black car which shows clearcoat swirls/scratches easier and I was wondering if a cheesecloth or diaper cloth would be better? I wiped my dad's black Corvette down with a terry cloth and I think it made some scratches in the clearcoat and I don't want to do this to my new car.

I felt the cheesecloth and diaper clothes and my work and they feel really soft. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these with removing wax. Thanks in advance.

Joe

nolongerhere. is offline I'm audi5000.

Re: What type of cloth for removing wax?

i forsee a hell of a lot of pictures of a black firebird at the beach flooding dragva in the coming weeks.

no longer an active member.

ToyotaTechGeek is offline brake/steer/throttle

the short answer is you need to change the way you apply wax. don't go in circular pattern if you apply by hand. make sure your cotton terry is not laundered with any sort of softener: even dryer sheet. cotton terry is the best, but i tend to go back over the car with 100% baby diaper or even 100% cotton flannel.
    1/2 a tank of V-Power gas+ 1/2 tankful of fuel with Techroline= V-Tec gas??? Speed and grip walk a very thin line of balance. If a car feels like it's on rails, then you're probably not going fast enough.

you need Zaino!
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (Under Construction)
    1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS & 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer

EvaUnit01 is offline Heretic & RSX driver

I usually use a combination terry towels to get the edges and make sure there is no wax. And i use microfiber towels for everything else. Microfiber is really soft and takes wax off like a champ.
    If you're 555 im 666

Nosious is offline Registered User

I've got a black car as well and trust me..I know the problems you're going thru. This is like my 7th or 8th car and I've never owned one that was black until now. All other colors of paint are easier to take care of. Black cars tend to swirl much easier from what I've seen. It all depends on the paint that they use.

I've got an 03 Accord EX and it is Nighthawk Black Pearl. Swirls like a champ. I've used Zymol since I got it but no luck. I would recommend a Microfiber Towel to buff out your wax. You can get them at most Auto stores. I did pick up some Black Magic wax the other night and it seems to take the swirls right out. It was only like $7-8 and is designed for darker colors, removing swirls, etc. Everyone has a favorite wax but you should find one that works best with your paint. I'm going to wax it this Saturday and I'll try to post some pics of the differences.

ritz is offline Patron

Thanks everyone.

ToyotaTechGeek is offline brake/steer/throttle

just a secondary tip with the microfibre cloths. i love them too...just be sure to remove the labels as they DO and WILL scratch!

growley is offline Pre-"Crash" Member

Yes, only use microfiber.
    1991 Volvo 240- Daily Driver and Weekend Fun Car

ritz is offline Patron

Damnit. We sell microfiber cloth at my work and it feels really rough, like I can feel it catching on my hands and shit and it looked like it scratched my clearcoat on my Camaro when I used it on it.

vmspionage is offline SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

I've always used a new terry cloth to remove wax, then polished with a soft microfiber. Maybe you just need to try a different brand, the micros I use are soft as hell.
    2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG Black Series | 1989 BMW 325i Sedan | 1999 Chevrolet Corvette

THATS FRESH is offline SSHNIPER

Quote Originally Posted by Nosious
    ... Black cars tend to swirl much easier from what I've seen. It all depends on the paint that they use...
    not exactly. its just "easier to see."depends on the clear coat. i use cotton terry cloths for detailing/waxing/buffing. I never resuse them. They turn into rags that clean my wheels and engine compartment. Also watch how much pressure you apply when you wax and how fast your buffer is.

Meguiars Gold Class
    GLENN|OPTIMUS PRIME

JETSWU87 is offline OM NOM NOM E30

I used micro fiber towels last time....i now have some of those light clearcoat scratches...i was not happy.

Nor do they feel good on your hands, catch on everything. Just buy a buffer.
    f

flow fx is offline hostgator.com

Towels and other drying items need to seriously DROP in price
    myspace
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CCIE#xxyzz

Brock Obama is offline Srsly.

Use a Microfiber cloth definatley! They are soft as hell and they cut the wax off faster than you can believe.
    2004 Mustang Mach1 -- 400 yard club, member #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris.is.awesome View Post
    I cant stand it when people talk about politics. It makes my blood fucking boil because its soo fucking stupid I want to fuck a baby in the ass while jumping rope on a crab boat in the Bearing sea. Fuck.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast