Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kowlabear kowlabear kowlabear kowlabear kowlabear kowlabear kowlabear
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

Just found out, it was form 17a.

Got all my paperwork back today & it was rejected. how nice.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 AM
CAPS LOCK BABY

CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK

DONT DRIVE A SHITBOX? PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by kowlabear
Just found out, it was form 17a.

Got all my paperwork back today & it was rejected. how nice.
a 17a can be processed at any customer service center.

Why was it rejected?

I have a feeling there is some part of the story not being told.....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Here's to the past..

Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus

Forgive me if this has already been answered before, I didn't feel like reading through 6 pages xD

But do you know anything about inspection? I know it isn't neccisarily DMV related, but I was just curious if you knew. I've done inspections before, but I wouldn't mind being able to check my car out before hand, ya know?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Praefectus
Forgive me if this has already been answered before, I didn't feel like reading through 6 pages xD

But do you know anything about inspection? I know it isn't neccisarily DMV related, but I was just curious if you knew. I've done inspections before, but I wouldn't mind being able to check my car out before hand, ya know?
Thanks!
You can find the whole inspection book online.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

The handbook is here http://lis.virginia.gov/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Here's to the past..

Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus Praefectus

Thanks man!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

huntstevent is an unknown quantity at this point

I am active duty military stationed in NC. VA is my home of record and I have a VA drivers license. My car is registered in Texas where I bought it as I was was recently stationed in Texas. I have just switched my car insurance to NC. It's my understanding that 2 of the 3 (DL, registration, insurance) must be of the same state. Is this true? My registration will not be due til August, same with Inspection.

To avoid future hassle I would like to clear this situation up now. Do 2 of the 3 have to match? If so what would be the easiest way to do this? Should I get a NC DL or should i register my car in VA or NC? Would that be an option because USAA has the Texas title because I have the car loan with them? Thank you if you can clear this up for me.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by huntstevent
I am active duty military stationed in NC. VA is my home of record and I have a VA drivers license. My car is registered in Texas where I bought it as I was was recently stationed in Texas. I have just switched my car insurance to NC. It's my understanding that 2 of the 3 (DL, registration, insurance) must be of the same state. Is this true? My registration will not be due til August, same with Inspection.

To avoid future hassle I would like to clear this situation up now. Do 2 of the 3 have to match? If so what would be the easiest way to do this? Should I get a NC DL or should i register my car in VA or NC? Would that be an option because USAA has the Texas title because I have the car loan with them? Thank you if you can clear this up for me.

Well....it sounds like a clusterfuck (but most military auto deals are). If you are going to be stationed for more than a year, you need to get a NC drivers license, title the car in NC, and insure it in NC.

Drivers license is pretty straight forward (of course, if you have a permanent residence in VA you should do all this in the state of VA, not NC)

Titling of the vehicle in NC or VA is the only harder part, but its straightforward. If you received a paper title with a lien stamp on it when you bought the car, you simply take it to the DMV with a VSA17a and the lien info is transferred. Most likely you never received a title, just registration info. That being the case, you need to contact your lienholder and tell them of the situation, and you need a paper copy of the title from the state you bought it from. They will get one ordered (you will have to pay for it, but its normally no more than $50), and send it to you with a lien stamp on it. You then take it to DMV, title it just like it was in TX but with your current address, and the lien is attached to it then.

Basically, if you plan on living in NC for a while, do it in VA. If you have a permanent residence in VA (parents, house, whatever) then I suggest title and registration in VA to go with your license. Less hassle, and you will have the insurance you need if something happens in NC (NC does not have an insurance requirement)
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

huntstevent is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thank you! I'm going to go ahead and do everything in NC since I'll be there at least a year. I'm also saving over $100 bucks a month by having my insurance for NC and not VA, $60 less than I paid in TX. I assume the VSA17a form is only for VA, any idea on what the form would be for NC? Also, would you have a ball park figure of what all of this will cost me as far as a NC license, title, and registration?

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread