Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .

Old 03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .

Well after sinking waaaaaaaaay too much money in my last racer (see HERE) I realized I had completely lost the spirit of lemons racing. I ended up selling that car to another team who beats the piss out of it.

This thread will serve to be the update/build/etc thread for the new car. I'll have more pictures this weekend after we gut the car. Our team name is affectionately "The Baconators". We will be clad with sleeveless Lynard Skynard shirts, white wash frayed shorts, and Beer helmets over our sweet Joe Dirt mullets.

Now this may not be starting in spirit but there will be minimal money put into the car. As of now, the car has cost me a whopping $100.

When I went to look at the car;

Car was running when parked with a rebuilt (<3k miles) trans. . . . back in 1999. They said something about the fuel cap drain got plugged so water went into the tank. They got it fired back up and their son was going to turn it into a race car but lost motivation. Owner was an absolute gear head and some of the vette folks might know him (Used to run beach combers).

Car as it sits now;

I'll be getting some more pictures this weekend once we tear into it. First step, see if the motor is even good.
We will have spots open for drivers if you're interested.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Re: Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .

I mean, it's no E30iata.... but potential is there.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by Flite
I mean, it's no E30iata.... but potential is there.
Power to weight will end up being near a E30 or miata with about 1% of the reliability. We shall see
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch

Was this advertised somewhere or did you know the guy?

I feel if I could buy cars like this for $100 a pop, I'd have a backyard full of crapcans.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Flinch
Was this advertised somewhere or did you know the guy?

I feel if I could buy cars like this for $100 a pop, I'd have a backyard full of crapcans.
Made a advert on the corvette forums. Got several leads and followed them up. Original idea was to find someone w/ one in the woods, get it running for exchange for some seat time ($0). Money was to lubricate the deal. Guy wanted the car gone so he could get his trailer back (was on his trailer) W/ enough patience, you can find em
Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Wow what a piece of shit
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Sub'd
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 PM

themadhatter has disabled reputation

Are you building this for lemons or chump? Either way that's a great find and with a few select junk yard upgrades could be pretty competitive
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 AM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Chump and LeMons are pretty much the same thing .... our car we originally built for LeMons, did a few events, then found out about Chump .... didnt have to change anything.

Gotta say .... I liked ChumpCar alot more. Weve been a top 10 car every race .... but Lemons antics take away from the racing aspect. While funny, and I do enjoy them ... if your up there in the top for the race and drop two tires off making a pass (2 tires, not 4) then you shouldnt have to come in and do some dumb penalty and take you out of the running for a top finish.

Plus VIR is our home track, and Lemons doesnt run it.

Joe .... I said this on your last build .... hit me up .... ill lend a hand where I can. Hope to see you get some seat time in this thing man.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered member

Well there hasn't been any updates in a hot minute. I as well as the rest of the team has been stupid busy dealing with life. Finally got two good weekends of working on the car.

Had some friends swing by this weekend just to take a look at its current status;

I think we can get it to work;

Thank god we're going carb'd. This is most of the rats nest that was ripped out from under the dash. 80's nightmare;

So I finally got around to addressing why the car was parked in the first place years ago - Water in the fuel tank. I was figuring I'd have to pull the tank, throw a bunch of hardware in, take weld it onto a cement mixer, and let its spin for a couple hours. Thankfully GM coated the inside of the tank w/ rubber (not a bladder).

This is what I pulled out when I took the top off the tank;

Vacuumed about a gallon of water-gas out (95% water) and cleaned out the tank.

And this is where I stopped for the night;

Tires/brakes/seat/wheel/ etc is all coming in. Still have to wire up but should be pretty easy. Next up is making a roll cage. Using 1.75 .120 DOM so the car can do SCCA if the urge ever shows up.

Will try to get more/better pics as things go on (This done w/ my (or others) crappy cell)

Quick Reply: Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .