Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .

Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM
I like grape drank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican
Default Re: Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Cut in the shifter;
Heh-- pencil dick.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Its back on! Time to get back to wrenching. . .

So we were going to pick up a 3RZ out of a toyota tacoma and drop that in. After talking to some people on chump however, we had mistakenly confused the way they work. Where as lemons looks at the car and goes "Oh, thats slow. . . no laps" chump sees an '84 vette, regardless of whats in it, looks at a book, and goes "You get all the penalty laps." Since we want to do more chump than lemons due to the proximity of races, we decided to say "Fuck it". If we're gonna get laps, we're gonna deserve them. More powaaaaaar. . .

Going complete roller valve train with hot cam:

And going to take as much weight out of this car as possible.

Tons of parts in route, should start getting here thurs. Let the idiocy continue.

Last edited by RandomTask; 03-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
EH2/3 hoarder

0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg

Just started un building my langley/ time attack civic for chump. Should be able to make the march Vir race next year or one of the late ones this year. The other guys are going to turn some laps at langley before it gets fully chumped-out.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

I really want to get on board a lemons team. Fuck.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM
EH2/3 hoarder

0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg 0bd2eg

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin
I really want to get on board a lemons team. Fuck.
Buy the cage for ours, BOOM, you're in.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Say word. . .

Went to fire it up this weekend. Heard a god awful noise. Turns out my team-mate had bolted the trans/engine together improperly; didn't install the clutch fork right. Had to disconnect everything, pull motor+trans, install it right, and reinstall it all. Timed ourselves; about an hour fifty. Yay!

Some notes: The fuel pump setup is out of a boat. Works out great. It has a low pressure lift pump, about a quart 'reserve' and a high pressure pump all in one unit. It also has fittings to run fuel cooling if you want.

PS pulley was the cheapest I could find. GM discontinued them ~6 years ago when they were selling them at $23 a piece. Cheapest I could find the pulley at a junkyard was $180. Billet one was $150.

This weekend gonna install the fire system, finish battening everything up, slap on the antique tags, and rock out.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered member

Pretty much finishing everything up. Only stuff left to do is get the tires re-balanced (new brakes won't clear those stick on weights so had to take em off) and a couple small safety ends. Barely legal light fixtures (35W HID's and 3800 lumen LED's).

Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Registered member

So fun race at VIR. Car was running great for the first 8 or so hours. Course was DRENCHED.

Had several landscaping expeditions. One of the other drivers lost it hard coming onto the front straight after the roller coaster. . .

Oops. . .

Not too much damage, only cosmetic. . .

Then we started having issues at about 6 that night. Car started missing. Then, it would barely run at all. We started changing everything. Fuel pump, injectors, plugs, making sure wires weren't grounding on anything, finally replaced the Opti. . .

Still didn't fix it. . . If you let the car cool down for about 10 minutes, it would run like a banshee for a half lap (grand course ~4.1miles) then it would just go to crap. No power, limping along. I think it was the ICM or coil; going to replace both to see what sort of effect that has. By the time we had replaced everything else, it was after 9pm and no auto stores were open :/

After we kept trying stuff, one of our drivers took it out. This was a novice driver. He said he got a 'little' squirrely going into the esses after someone brake checked him. Talking to BMW driver who ate our back end, a 'little' squirrely is apparently doing a complete 360 and ending in the middle of the track with no where to go to avoid contact. . . BMW was totaled; ended up ripping their cross member off the frame rail and even bending their firewall.

Damage to the vette:

All fixed.

Next morning we had one of our drivers take it out. One of our brake caliper bolts backed out, causing the caliper to fall off. . . woops. Everything got entangled up, ultimately locking the front right tire. Driver drove it Nascar style back to the pits, plowing the front right completely locked halfway across the track, completely destroying the tire. I'll have to get a pic of that.

Because of all this, we got the "Timex: Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin' " award.

I have some videos I'm loading right now showing how wet it was out there. My fastest time in the wet on the full course was 3:29. We're doing VIR again Dec 6th and have an extra spot or two if anyone's interested.

Last edited by RandomTask; 08-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered member

Just a quick video of the opening laps (not racing) . Its boring but shows how wet the track was:

http://youtu.be/hwZK5-KwUV8
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered member

Another video showing how wet the track was:

http://youtu.be/DBtOUJzCQ4c

Quick Reply: Lemons/Chump Racer Part Deux. . .