Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Considering a budget dedicated track car, need a sounding board

Old 09-07-2015, 03:54 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Considering a budget dedicated track car, need a sounding board

How much track experience do you have? Do you want something that you can tear up while learning? If so, I'd go back to the Miata again. I'm working on getting one running right now for exactly this reason. I've got a few autocrosses under my belt but that's about it. I'm a lot more likely to mess up until I become more experienced, and I'm more likely to push the car harder if I care less about it. I can run it harder and learn more, and if I run it into a wall, oh well, I have less than 2 grand invested and if it isn't completely totaled, parts are cheaper than almost any other car. If I ran the Z into a wall, or in your case the BMW, it sucks. Just a little more food for thought.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 AM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

http://www.racingjunk.com/
Old 09-07-2015, 10:26 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5210230532.html
Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by blackout
That thing is pretty damn beautiful... but that MY is almost certainly out of my budget. (Off-topic- is tire shine detrimental at all during a track event??)

I found a couple that are relatively local for just less than $5k. One is a 91 with ~120k that looks to be in pretty good shape, the other is a 93 that's rough with higher mileage but still tolerable.

That said I also found a 944 for $2500. Waiting on an email response back- I'm realizing that Reloaded is absolutely right, it's the worst possible choice on my list but it might just be one of those itches I need to scratch. I've loved those cars since I was literally old enough to read the bottom of the Guards Red Hot Wheels version I had...

I also found a (hopefully not deceptively) clean S13 for $2500. I never thought I'd be able to find one unmolested for that price ever again.

Flinch is also correct, I found some tempting E30s but they're all north of $8k. And most of them are convertible...

I'm having second thoughts at the moment because of how quickly I jumped at that 240, I almost called the guy yesterday when I haven't even finished my research phase yet. I think I need to pump the brakes a bit as this is feeling like an impulse decision... maybe waiting around for an already prepped car ready for me to hop in is another option I should consider, plus give me time to breathe and make sure I ACTUALLY want to do this...

This has been some good conversation though, thanks all for contributing.
Rich's 14 year old son's racing budget is like your entire income from 2014.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Reloaded
Rich's 14 year old son's allowance is like your entire income from 2014.
Fixed. Lol. Racing budget is even more.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Yardjass
How much track experience do you have? Do you want something that you can tear up while learning? If so, I'd go back to the Miata again. I'm working on getting one running right now for exactly this reason. I've got a few autocrosses under my belt but that's about it. I'm a lot more likely to mess up until I become more experienced, and I'm more likely to push the car harder if I care less about it. I can run it harder and learn more, and if I run it into a wall, oh well, I have less than 2 grand invested and if it isn't completely totaled, parts are cheaper than almost any other car. If I ran the Z into a wall, or in your case the BMW, it sucks. Just a little more food for thought.
Exactly. I don't have much track experience at all. Half a track day, one autocross about 12 years ago... drag racing 13-16 second cars doesn't count.

To be honest- the M4 scares me a little. Not only does it have this ungodly amount of torque that as evidenced by the internet can get way out of hand very fast (reference: http://jalopnik.com/this-asshat-bmw-...-ca-1677493427), but I'm terrified to even get it dirty. It's a lease and I'm following the factory break-in procedure to the tee. I know I've only had it a couple weeks, but I know me being a little bitch about the car will have an effect on my track experience. It did when I took the STI immediately after installing a bunch of shit and a tune... and I could literally have bought another STI to make up the difference in the M4.

Enter the low-cost purpose-bought track slut. I can focus on just driving the car without distractions.

Originally Posted by Rich
Awesome site. There's actually a very interesting miata on there already prepped for dirt cheap that's a 2 hour drive from here... still considering it but that fits the bill perfectly.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
The price is right, but that car seems full of drama. I've heard some hardcore track guys suggest s2000s aren't necessarily ideal for starting out either; they're too high strung. Maybe if I had rich's budget...

Originally Posted by Reloaded
Rich's 14 year old son's racing budget is like your entire income from 2014.
Not to completely derail the thread but I am a bit curious... I don't really care at this point in my life but it's been a long running theme on this board that no one can touch Rich's income level... but I think I'm catching up. I'm not really enthused about disclosing exact figures any more than I'm sure he is... but just in honest curiosity and fun I still wonder if I'm actually on his level these days...

I've made a few moves since the days I would give anything for credit good enough to get an unsecured loan for $5k to drop an SR20 in my 15 second 240SX...
Old 09-07-2015, 06:04 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

I have no idea what Rich makes. One could only speculate. If I had to guess I'd say a quarter mil salary minimum. All I know is I made almost 2 grand just this weekend and I'm still a poor fgt compared to Rich.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

I'm still doing ok.....even though I took a $40K+ pay cut to start working locally.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Registered member

804_mini has disabled reputation

A word on the E30, I had a 325e ("economy" model) and was a bit disappointed by the road feel. I'm not sure if it was just my model or the age of the car, but the steering wheel felt disconnected and had far too much power steering assist; it made it feel unsettled on imperfect roads. It also required a lot more steering input (relative to modern European car) to get the car to turn making it feel sluggish and not agile.

A common upgrade is to swap e36 steering rack which reduces lock-to-lock from 4 turns to 3.2.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

The Miata IMO is the best starting platform for road racing. It's ugly as sin but the car is well balanced, light, cheap, a plethora of "bang for your buck" aftermarket parts, rear wheel drive, and relatively easy to work on.

It's going to be a track slut not a status car, it has to be "quick" and nimble not pretty. Keep in mind you're going to tear this car to shit, even if it isn't your fault, shit happens on the track. Ppl get loose in the turns, tires blow, and deer run onto the track (Summit Point is real bad for deer).

As aforementioned the Porsche is your worst choice, if you want to be competitive in one be ready to spend 10-12K to start and hope nothing breaks (lol). The E30 is a good platform but again, working in the budget you set this might be a tad outside of it. The S13 isn't a bad car, it's cheap, nimble w/ the right suspension, easy to work on, and parts are everywhere for it.

I'd also recommend going to the track w/ a few spare parts in hand. We always arrived w/ 2 sets of wheels / tires, a spare trans, clutch, radiator, radiator hoses, belts, and a few other odds and ends that could prevent your weekend at the track from ending early. It might seem like a lot but it won't take too much room up in the truck / trailer and yes you will need a truck and trailer. Unless you're running Auto-X or w/e that parking lot cone racing event is called these days never rely on your track car to be your transportation to and from the track. That's just asking for it....

Quick Reply: Considering a budget dedicated track car, need a sounding board