You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the VA Driven community today!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

  1. #1
    NoRider is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004

    Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    My question is basically how old does a car have to be in Virginia to get Classic Car tags, and also what do these tags give you? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of importing a Skyline GTR, and I want to see if I could import an GTR R32 and if I would be some way legal to do this due to its age. These cars are hitting over 15 years old in some cases, and I'm trying to find info to see if you can get around emissions and or safety inspection with classic cars. I'm assuming the emissions is gone, but you still have to pass safety inspection. Is this assumption correct? Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    RPRacing is offline Huntin Dropa ForLife
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    call DMV.

  3. #3
    tiki240's Avatar
    tiki240 is offline Cock of the Infinite
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    yorktown

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station. that means no trips to walmart, no taking it to dinner, etc etc. the laws were put in place for exactly your type of person. Someone circumventing the current registration and inspection laws by using a loophole. so they fixed it. If you are caught driving the car more that a certain number of miles in a year, driving it daily, or operating it in any manner other than straight to a bonafied classic car show, you can be ticketed. and its a hefty fine and you lose the privledge to use classic plates for something like 10 years. its no joke.
    I-V
    Quote Originally Posted by blah
    We're talking about tiki here. Mofo stacks his shit high and right!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Quote Originally Posted by NoRider View Post
    My question is basically how old does a car have to be in Virginia to get Classic Car tags, and also what do these tags give you? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of importing a Skyline GTR, and I want to see if I could import an GTR R32 and if I would be some way legal to do this due to its age. These cars are hitting over 15 years old in some cases, and I'm trying to find info to see if you can get around emissions and or safety inspection with classic cars. I'm assuming the emissions is gone, but you still have to pass safety inspection. Is this assumption correct? Any help would be appreciated.
    just buy a motorexed skyline. the only real way if you want a skyline

  5. #5
    Tonka Toy is offline 2004 Danceoff Champ
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Team NA based Worldwide YO

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Plus I believe it is 25 years, so, it won't work anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by JROW View Post
    Drop bombs on them bitches.
    I mean seriously, those fuckers need to find something constructive to do. Don't they like cars and bitches and shit?
    They all need a hug and a role model.

  6. #6
    Flinch's Avatar
    Flinch is offline Desolation
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ashburn

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Quote Originally Posted by tiki240 View Post
    with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station. that means no trips to walmart, no taking it to dinner, etc etc. the laws were put in place for exactly your type of person. Someone circumventing the current registration and inspection laws by using a loophole. so they fixed it. If you are caught driving the car more that a certain number of miles in a year, driving it daily, or operating it in any manner other than straight to a bonafied classic car show, you can be ticketed. and its a hefty fine and you lose the privledge to use classic plates for something like 10 years. its no joke.
    You can drive it to exercise it, or atleast I could when I had antique tags about 4 years ago.
    91 Miata
    96 Mustang GT GR28.5
    04 Yukon XL Denali

  7. #7
    ritz's Avatar
    ritz is offline Patron
    Join Date
    Nov 2002

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Quote Originally Posted by tiki240 View Post
    with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station.
    Since when?

    We own a few vehicles with antique plates and the only thing DMV ever said was we can't drive them over "X" amount of miles per year and a law recently added is that the owners have to submit a notarized certification that the vehicle meets all saftey requirements.

    I've never heard of what you're talking about.

  8. #8
    IMSHAKN is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...es/antique.asp

    To clarify a couple of things:

    1. Vehicle must be at least 25 model years old - 1983 as of right now.
    2. Cannot be used for general transportation - meaning you can't drive it to and from work.
    3. Can participate in antique shows or similar events.
    4. Can be driven to events, for testing, and for pleasure up to 250 miles from home - the wording allows unlimited mileage so that you can drive it to a show in CA if you wish. The 250 mile limit is only for pleasure driving not related to a car related event.

  9. #9
    v8Buster is offline I hate soccermoms
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    car has to be 25 years old and i believe u can only put 2,000 miles on it a year. and if u take the car to work or stuff like that and drive it daily, they will ticket you .

  10. #10
    SLOW SOL's Avatar
    SLOW SOL is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NOVA

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    I drove mine all the time for years and never got in any trouble, kept hearing everyone talking about you can only drive it to and from a shop/show. who checks the mileage to verify how much you drive it? Mine has never been checked in the 5 years i have owned it. I dont need inspection or emissions just a county sticker, and yes the new law states you must show proof of another vehicle and get it notorized to prove you dont drive the car dailey with trhe tags to get away with the no inspection/emissions

  11. #11
    SLOW SOL's Avatar
    SLOW SOL is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NOVA

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    it also depends on what county your in also, everyone has different rules

  12. #12
    NoRider is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOW SOL View Post
    I drove mine all the time for years and never got in any trouble, kept hearing everyone talking about you can only drive it to and from a shop/show. who checks the mileage to verify how much you drive it? Mine has never been checked in the 5 years i have owned it. I dont need inspection or emissions just a county sticker, and yes the new law states you must show proof of another vehicle and get it notorized to prove you dont drive the car dailey with trhe tags to get away with the no inspection/emissions
    Well I would register the car in Charlottesville if I was to do this. But the Classic car laws wouldn't apply for a skyline since its not 25 years old. Another problem arose as well... The title for the car would be from Canada, so it would be impossible to get a US state title unless I went through all of the legal processes... that is UNLESS SOMEONE HAS A CONNECTION AT THE DMV THAT WOULD OVERLOOK THIS FOR A SMALL FEE.... I'm just trying to get a GTR R32... it shouldn't have to be this hard in the first place...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    Yes it should. Car was never sold here and never crash tested here. Therefore, they don't want you having it. Its not that hard to understand. Just go buy an accord and do a conversion on it.

  14. #14
    I<3Strippers!'s Avatar
    I<3Strippers! is offline +RepCarebearCrew
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Getting lap dances.

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    or register it as a collectible? i could do that with my vert and pretty much do anything to it motor wise and not have any trouble

  15. #15
    atifsays's Avatar
    atifsays is offline |OoOo|oOoO|
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NoVA & 757

    Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

    R33's were crash tested here
    "The bitter taste of poor quality and service remain long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

  16.  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Virginia Bike Laws
    By LShatch59 in forum Cycle Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
  2. VIRGINIA LABOR LAWS?
    By 757 BMW 525i in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
  3. Virginia HID laws
    By Leadgtr in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
  4. Car Modification Laws in Virginia
    By Just_ME in forum Automotive Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •