Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

G8 Owners / LS builders

Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tooserious4u79 has disabled reputation
Default Re: G8 Owners / LS builders

Originally Posted by BAN HAMMER
Holy fuck shut up, you have no clue what you are talking about. He's asking about a cam, not building a drag car.

OP, PM me. I had a livernois cam in my G8 GT and loved it.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html

That come with everything you need to throw the stage 2 in it and DOD delete, which you're going to have to do. The hardest part about the swap is getting that godforsaken crank pulley off. It's a 4 hour job. If you are looking for someone that has done it before than let me know.

HOWEVER. You cannot throw that cam in a stock Gt and expect it to be a bad ass supercar. What mods do you have currently?
I have lth, ram air, high flow cats, pypes axleback,Vms 91-93 tune, 50%tcm tune pedders II drop/suspension kit, poly bushings. Speed would be nice it flies already I love the 25mpg on the highway but I have not seen a Dod cam kit that doesn't have a critical failure point and can support boost later on. So for reliability sake I need to get rid of DOD. Yes, the harmonic balancer is/was a pain in the dick mine was wobbly changed it out with a powerbond stock size from oriellys. The shitty part was gettin it back in I ended up going to York bolt for a longer bolt and a lot of washers. After I got I the bolt 1/4 to the end of threaded portion in I added washers the started the process of tightening to get it on.

Last edited by tooserious4u79; 04-13-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

So the livernois stage 2 would be perfect for what you want then. You could also throw a stall in the car and it would be ridiculously fun to drive.

What is your budget on install? I can beat any shop price around, and many here can vouch for my previous work on LS engines.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Carnine
http://www.ls1howto.com/ was the site ive used before.

Honestly cam selection should be your last thought. What kind of build do you want? heads will be the biggest money and largest concern with choosing cam. wether or not you will replace the convertor or rear diff ratio. Also, at which speed and ratio/tire height. Intake and access can be considered but not ness to decide cam size but maybe LSA or tuning availability. And don't forget about fueling.
Heads, intake, cam, tune does wonders for these cars. Beyond that, there is literally no point in giving a fuck about anything you posted unless you're trying to build the absolute fastest thing around.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Registered member

I def want to the job myself but if someone is going to install one I would love to watch and see what problems might arise to make sure I put everything together for my parts list. I first started working on cars when the trans went out in my 87 accord si back then it was detrimental to have my car turned around in a short amount of time so I had to sink or swim. Since then I've changed engines, cams, turbos, clutches transmissions, done a few Chevy 3.2-3.8 LIM GASKETS (still got the lifter tool) I've rebuilt a few cars also did an 318 to 325 swap, 1.8t vw Aeb head/engine install (no lift) mustang clutches (very easy) the last car I had was a g35 I rebuilt after it had all the front parts stolen. I've dealt with a bunch of Chevys but not too many v8 cam changes. But I can say out of all the cars I've worked on I will not buy another vw, timing is very critical and talk about close interference if you jump timing you are guaranteed to have a bent valve. I've been fixing for awhile but I still love learning. My main concern is lifters and duration specs to complement the cam as far as budget I don't want anything to break the bank but amassing my parts over time will smoke screen the wife as to my intentions.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Back in the day everyone was all about the Lunati Voodoo cams for LS motors.

I've always heard that the heads flow pretty good stock, maybe a port and polish if you really want to.

But yeah, like others have said it's not too difficult since it's a single cam pushrod. I have heard some stories about the crank pulley being a bitch as well.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 PM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

I've done lots of LS cam swaps...the book says to pull heads and lifters and such as JacKal posted.. that is the safest way, but I've done plenty by just pulling the valve covers, push rods, timing cover and chain, spinning the motor over about 4 times, and pulling the cam out. The plastic lifter guides will normally hold the lifters up in the block and you can swap cam without pulling the cylinder heads or intake manifold. BUT!!! If one of the lifters fall, you will have to pull the oil pan and cylinder head to reinstall it. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Registered member

It think I'm going to get so practice I got a 5.3 in my Avalanche that just crapped a main bearing I'm gonna be building the original motor as a a spare
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Registered member

Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine

Bum deal about the bearing. Narrowed down which cams you are looking at? Will it be a cam only car? or whats the end goal?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Registered member

I don't think I subscribed to this tread I didn't see the reply but the Avalanche motor ended up being a debacle. I bought a used one from with a supposed 95,000 miles for $700. The cam was shot all lifters were shot the main bearings were shot and timing was turned a total 180 degrees and he didn't want to honor his 30 day warranty. I found another good mechanic because I know he wouldn't believe me and he confirmed it and took apart the motor in his shop and rebuilt it for me. As for the G8 I had a afm lifter collapse and am going with a stock ls3 cam and parts for dod delete. I still have VMS and they want $369 for cam tune so I will be ditching them and their trans tune that hasn't been updated since 2009-2010. You guys know anyone that can tune pretty reasonable?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:04 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

http://www.hitechtuning.com/

Ed is the man.

Quick Reply: G8 Owners / LS builders