Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

G8 Owners / LS builders

Old 04-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tooserious4u79 has disabled reputation
Default G8 Owners / LS builders

Are there any g8 owners out there or better yet any ls-xxx motor guys. I looking for info on cam options. Would like to do it myself last can I did was in a 1.8t beetle (pita) but worth it to see the look on the guy's face when he floored his v6 camaro and didn't loose me. I talked to a couple shops and they want too much for a cam swap but since I haven't done it on a Gm in a while I would like to look along with a knowledgeable person.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal
Default Re: G8 Owners / LS builders

I've got a friend that just knocked one out in his G8GT, removed the DoD and went with a texas speed cam. Pretty straight forward and he did it from a YouTube video.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

I second texas speed cams. When I do mine, it will either be texas speed or the crate hot cam LS3. I second that they're really easy to swap as well.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 AM
Registered member

Sweet if he does another I would like to look on if that is possible. I have a few goals in auto repair 1. I really need to learn how to weld 2. Trans rebuild 3. Get a garage to do all that stuff in.

I have never heard of Texas speed a lot of guys on the g8 forums swear by pat g. I also have a vms tune so they want to charge about $1200 I think for cam swap tunes seems a little much to me.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by tooserious4u79
Sweet if he does another I would like to look on if that is possible. I have a few goals in auto repair 1. I really need to learn how to weld 2. Trans rebuild 3. Get a garage to do all that stuff in.

I have never heard of Texas speed a lot of guys on the g8 forums swear by pat g. I also have a vms tune so they want to charge about $1200 I think for cam swap tunes seems a little much to me.
Learning to weld isn't too bad. I learned in 2 hours and passed an xray test for a job, and my skills took off from there.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

Originally Posted by tooserious4u79

He has HP tuners doing all of his stuff. It's really easy to cam swap a pushrod engine. It's as simple as this.
Remove accessories from front of engine to access timing chain and gears.
Remove valve covers and unbolt rocker arms.
Remove intake manifold.
Remove lifters.
Roll engine over to make the tick marks on the time gears line up both at 12oclock position
Remove timing chain and gears
Remove cam SLOWLY rotating it slightly may help.
Replace the cam with plenty of lube careful not to bang it around on the bore.
Reverse the previous steps and use new gaskets. Shouldn't take more than 8 hours if you're mechanically inclined, and have proper tools. The biggest pain is the intake manifold and all the shit attached to it.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

You should buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Modify-LS-Seri.../dp/0760335435 its got everything you need to know
Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered member

I might have to check out that book.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Registered member

Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine

http://www.ls1howto.com/ was the site ive used before.

Honestly cam selection should be your last thought. What kind of build do you want? heads will be the biggest money and largest concern with choosing cam. wether or not you will replace the convertor or rear diff ratio. Also, at which speed and ratio/tire height. Intake and access can be considered but not ness to decide cam size but maybe LSA or tuning availability. And don't forget about fueling.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by Carnine
http://www.ls1howto.com/ was the site ive used before.

Honestly cam selection should be your last thought. What kind of build do you want? heads will be the biggest money and largest concern with choosing cam. wether or not you will replace the convertor or rear diff ratio. Also, at which speed and ratio/tire height. Intake and access can be considered but not ness to decide cam size but maybe LSA or tuning availability. And don't forget about fueling.
Holy fuck shut up, you have no clue what you are talking about. He's asking about a cam, not building a drag car.

OP, PM me. I had a livernois cam in my G8 GT and loved it.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html

That come with everything you need to throw the stage 2 in it and DOD delete, which you're going to have to do. The hardest part about the swap is getting that godforsaken crank pulley off. It's a 4 hour job. If you are looking for someone that has done it before than let me know.

HOWEVER. You cannot throw that cam in a stock Gt and expect it to be a bad ass supercar. What mods do you have currently?

Quick Reply: G8 Owners / LS builders